Friday, September 28, 2012

Ladies Market - Hong Kong


There are many accredited markets in Hong Kong and possibly the most famous which was the first to be made official was Ladies Market. It is not my favourite for shopping as it can become rather overcrowded which makes the experience more of a hassle than a pleasure, however it is worth seeing. If you want to shop be prepared to haggle if you are lucky you may get 50% off the asking price.






The market runs along Tung Choi Street, from Argyle Street to Dundas Street in Mongkok. Although its name is taken from its reputation for selling bargain fashionable ladies clothing and also to distinguish it from 'Mens Market' ,Temple Street Night Market, this is nowadays something of a misnomer and the market sells a huge range of ladies, mens and childrens clothes, sports goods, electrical goods, toys and souvenirs. Any “designer labels” are almost certainly fake but nevertheless there are bargains to be had and you can negotiate huge discounts from already low asking prices. This is a large and very busy market and negotiating through the crowds here can be exhausting. The section of Tung Choi Street where the market operates is pedestrianised and closed to vehicles between 4pm and midnight on Mondays to Saturdays and between 12 noon and 10pm on Sundays and public holidays. Sections of neighbouring Sai Yeung Choi Street, Nelson Street and Soy Street are pedestrianised from 4pm to 10pm on Mondays to Saturdays and 12 noon to 10pm on Sundays and public holidays.  Market information in this paragraph courtesy of Hong Kong Extras






Just to give you an idea of the atmosphere and huge variety of goods from beautiful to tacky I am sharing lots of photos of the market. As there are so many I have kept them small, click on photo if you really want to see something in more detail. Be warned if you ever visit that many stall holders will not be keen on you taking photos if you are not buying, so take care. 




















That's it for the virtual shopping
Address:Tung Choi Street, Mong Kok, Kowloon

  • OPENING HOURS - 12 noon to 11pm daily. Most stalls are open by 1pm. 


GETTING THERE – MTR to either Prince Edward and take exit B2 or to Mong Kok and take any of exits B2, D2 or D3. Prince Edward MTR Station and Mong Kok MTR Stations are at the northern and southern ends respectively of the market.

Bus 1, 1A, 2, 6 or 9 from Tsim Sha Tsui Star Ferry pier and get off at Nelson Street station

Sources for more information:-
Ladies Market - Discover Hong Kong     Hong Kong Extras - Markets


All photos are my own taken in October 2011. 
 Copyright All rights reserved by LindyLouMac Photo Collection 
The photos may also be viewed individually in my album entitled - Travel Tales - Ladies Market - Hong Kong at My Flickr.com account.

This is my last post about our most recent trip to Hong Kong, but hopefully I have given you plenty of ideas for your own visits. Or that you have enjoyed your armchair travel.  Next time the Travel Tale will be from Thailand.

19 comments:

  1. Been there, done that, I do agree though that the number of people can be very off putting, I hate crowds of any sort!! Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing amount of goodies, Linda.
    I think I just might be able to brave the crowds for it!
    Thank you for all of these wonderful posts.
    Wishing you a fantastic weekend!
    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an experience. So much colour and what a variety of goods for sale. Like you, I wouldn't be so keen on the crowds. You would have to hold on tight to your handbag I would think! Wonderful photos Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my so many lovely things and I bet so little money to spend.........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, there are so many things to buy. You know I rarely shop when I travel, I am much more into seeing the sights. I enjoyed visiting this market with you, wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing!! So many things to look at. :-) I'm a terrible haggler, but I might give it a whirl for those beautiful embroidered/beaded bags. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Linda,

    My niece and her husband stopped off in Singapore recently, on their way to honeymoon in Australia and have some similar picures of the fantastic markets they got to explore.

    It seems as though everything we do in the Uk is so half thought out and poorly executed, when compared to many overseas countries. There seems to be some real flair and artistic talent in many of the displays, making them so eye-catching, that who could simply pass them by?

    Thanks for sharing,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! It looks like you had such an exciting trip...I'll make it to HK one day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for those directions...though I shall not be going there soon, or maybe ever...that's fun of you to help send people to a great find. That's a great market. PS..I just joined you as a follower and invited my sis, renae@simplesequins.com also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am too lazy to bargain. I prefer to shop in my familar malls back home in Singapore. Just back from Hanoi, same happens in Hanoi especially those street hawkers, they demand you purchase their food if they spotted you taking photo of them or pay them a photo fee. I had to zoom on them or take side view of them lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We will definitely go to Hong Kong some day. Thank you for the tips

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Dear! I like your blog so much! This is my first visit here but definitely not the last :) Would you like to follow each other? :)


    XOXO,
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful photos! I would love to shop those handbags, shoes and sunglasses!
    Hope you have a lovely weekend.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful photos, great creations in this wonderful market of Hong Kong.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos, haven't been to HK for many years, but your photos remind me of many other Asian country markets.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If we are always arriving and departing, it is also true that we are eternally anchored. One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things.
    Flights to Windhoek
    Cheap Flights to Windhoek
    Cheap Air Tickets to Windhoek

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great varity of market shots. I love to stroll in this foreign markets.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello!

    I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

    Moving Balham

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, beautiful colorful market! several kind of things are available to purchase. Great account of the exciting pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Travel Tales and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate your support, which is a great encouragement to me and reading them is always a pleasure. All commenter's will receive a visit back from me and followers a follow back. I will respond to questions here but not reply to every individual comment due to time constraints, a problem we all have.