Thursday, January 16, 2014

Tram Advertising 2014 - Des Voeux Road, Hong Kong.


The tram system is one of the earliest forms of public transport in Hong Kong as they have been in existence for over one hundred years. The tramway runs on Hong Kong Island between Shau Kei Wan and Kennedy Town, with a branch line circulating Happy Valley. The trams which are an environmentally friendly mass transit system are not surprisingly a major tourist attraction. 

No surprise then that previous posts on this blog about the Hong Kong Tramways are amongst some of the most visited. Therefore whilst I was in Hong Kong recently it seemed a good idea to take a walk down to Des Voeux Road and see which companies the trams are advertising this year.

















There are many more but I hope you have enjoyed the small selection I captured on my walk


Tram Stop Information
Map showing the current tram termini and major stops along the route.
Wikipedia


Just in case you would like to read more about the history of the Hong Kong Tramways I am including the links to my earlier posts.
Trams in Hong Kong - August 2012
Hong Kong Trip 2010 - Trams

With thanks to the following sites for the background information included in this post. The links will take you directly to the pages on  Hong Kong Tramways if you are interested in learning more about the history of the tramway.

Wikipedia - Hong Kong Tramways    Hong Kong Tramways   Hong Kong Extras

                           All photos unless stated otherwise are my own taken in January 2014
  
 Copyright All rights reserved by LindyLouMac Photo Collection

11 comments:

  1. Those are handsome trams. My favourite is L'Occitaine. Trams are the best option with terrain like that. I wish they were more popular in England. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea about this system; they're so interesting to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fascinating to me, Linda, since I just finished reading a book set early 1900-1940's Hong Kong and in the story they took trams! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are amazing, i have never seen a double decker bus, which is what we call them... so many different types. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can understand now , why you did a post on Trams :-) they are brilliant , what a fabulous way for advertising. My favourite is L'Occitaine too. One of my favourite shops , we now have one in Oxford x

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness me Linda, what a truly fantastic assortment of trams that you photographed on your walk. They were all very special in their own way and it was so good to see them here today. A real treat for us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I'm enjoying tram travel in our city I was really interested to see the double decker variety in Hong Kong and read the history on your link. The history of transport is fascinating. I wonder if you saw any of the older models? However, these new ones are a lot of fun to look at with the different colours and advertisements.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How interesting and probably a great way to travel. thanks for the links, too! I'd like to read more! Enjoy your week my friend! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post my husbands ambition is to go to Hong Kong so hopefully soo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting! I am so glad you are traveling and enjoying life!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the photos of the trams. Hope you have a fantastic time in Hong Kong. Is it very polluted in Hong Kong?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Travel Tales and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate your support, which is a great encouragement to me and reading them is always a pleasure. All commenter's will receive a visit back from me and followers a follow back. I will respond to questions here but not reply to every individual comment due to time constraints, a problem we all have.